on the side






 

 





No swaying with hungry indecision on this particular sunny Saturday morning - we were off to experience for the very first time ever in the history of the world, breakfast at The Carrington. The Carrington had become a late night, mid-week, local & favourite last year when my love lived nearby in Redfern and was working a fulltime job that more often than not required a smooth double tequila (and the occasional cheeky cuban sandwich) to get to sleep at night. When I was inadvertently invited to the 'soft opening' of breakfast I was rather excited to see what (chef) Jamie had going on. 

It was a new feeling being out for breakfast not in a cafe. That sounds strange but think about where you have usually have breakfast - it's not a pub/bar/restaraunt right? No exposed brick, timber & industrial accents here - the Spanish inspired dining room is all red round tables, mosaics, a long wall hugging booth, shared high table, poppies and split level dining. 

We got seated in the sunniest spot in the house which I admired the duration of our 2 hour breakfast and looked around thinking how jealous I'd be if I wasn't one of us. I heart sunshine - it truly was a highlight. 
I'll admit I felt a little unhip for not ordering a 'hard' drink at breakfast - note to the people out there who are into that you'll be in heaven - but surely the banana, peanut butter and oatmeal thickshake I had instead made up for it...no? It was delicious. The kind of thing you'd see in American movies and wish we had here in Australia, well no more wishing.  
My tip is; run with the theme. It's a Spanish based menu so order in that manner. My bacon and mushroom cravings got the better of me and I went with a big breakfast but after trying Mr's baked eggs (with sofrita, pequila peppers and spiced eggplant) and siting some kind of Spanish french toast with fried bananas and icecream going past I knew there needed to be a round two. 
Food details aside a lovely morning was had by all and I will be returning for a more 'Cataluyan' (can I say that? Is that a word?) morning meal asap. 

Check check the menu here. Official opening this Saturday 4th August

The Carrington 563 Bourke St, Surry Hills

Photos: Rachel Kara





3 comments:

  1. Ugh you're making me hungry. Gorgeous photos, you're so talented!

    http://thezerowinter.blogspot.com
    http://katemossdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh gosh your posts always make me want more. Beautiful photos, beautiful description, this place looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to the Carrington for dinner but never breakfast. Your photos are calling me to return. PS I would say Català in that context.

    ReplyDelete

bites and kisses for you. meow. x